Sunday, May 6, 2018

Inquiry-Based Learning in French Immersion: Part 3

For the 2017-2018 school year, our school was awarded a grant for The Teacher Learning and Leadership Program (TLLP).


TLLP Goal #2


To develop knowledge on how to best integrate technology appropriately and effectively with inquiry-based learning

This TLLP goal has been the most challenging for me. For anyone who knows me at all, I love technology and I am quite savvy with it. Our classroom is equipped with Chromebooks, ipads, ipods, a SMARTboard and a collection of different robots and coding devices. We use the SeeSaw app to share our work online and listen we to music and watch French videos. We listen to audiobooks and collaborate with Google Docs with our own classmates and beyond. We play math games and learn to code, we produce music and make stop-motion videos and iMovies. 

In theory, I would love to fully integrate technology into my classroom - especially to support the inquiry-process, and general innovative practices, however, the past couple of years a trend has been emerging in my primary classroom that worries me and I have in fact, been trying to simplify things and actually embrace less technology. Many of my students in my classroom are exposed to excessive screen time outside of school, and I feel that too much technology at school is making it worse. New behaviours have emerged around technology and self-regulation is becoming more and more difficult to manage for some children. 

Technology does not equal inquiry. Nor does it equal innovation. It is a tool that can be used to support this, but not to replace sound instructional practices. Instead of purchasing too many more technology items, I bought more lego sets and building blocks and rainbow looms and button makers. I used money for flexible seating options, and consumables (duck tape, glue guns, fancy paper and paint). And books. Lots of books to engage and generate questions. 

I will still continue to use technology as I have been, but only as a tool. My goal is to reach students on a more human level. To talk, to interact, to question, to problem-solve together, to debate, to present. This is the very essence of a Second-Language classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment