Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sketchnoting The Innovator's Mindset: Chapter 1



As introduced in my last post, I am sketchnoting my way through George Couros's The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent and Lead a Culture of Creativity using the Paper app and Musemee Notier Prime stylus.


As George mentions, the word "Innovation" gets thrown around a lot in education. In recent months, I have heard people use the term INNOVATION interchanged with inquiry, creativity, exploration, invention and "using more technology". It can be all of that, or none of that. Innovation is really just a way of thinking that creates something new or better. This chapter gives readers a better idea as to what Innovation is and what it is not. 

George asked 3 questions at the end of the chapter. This one of them:


The answer to this is definitely a work in progress. It is a hard one. I have a few new goals for September in my brain right now, and need to draw and plan them out soon. I tend to mostly focus on how I can bring innovation and creativity into my classroom as a teacher through engaging tasks that promote problem solving, collaboration and critical thinking, and how to get my students to take risks, ask questions, and gain a sense of wonder, motivation and growth mindset to develop creativity and innovation themselves. But, in my leadership? In my own learning? 

I have always thought of myself as a creative, but never an innovator. 
I need to push my boundaries, stretch my thinking, make growth manageable and embrace the new.

Some things I will be working on in the fall for my teaching: 

- Teaching the whole kiddo. Physical, mental, spiritual. Make sure they know they are important, what talents and strengths they offer the class. Growth Mindset and student-led classrooms. Really get to know each student. "The question that must be asked every day is, "What is best for this learner?"

- Collaboration + Communication en français (with each other, local communities and the world - continue conversation, kidblogs, etc.) Rich, authentic, action-oriented tasks.

- Passion/Wonder Projects - Make a plan to improve from last year.

- Create a maker space/provocations/invitations to learn - how do I incorporate throughout the day? Do students visit area whenever they feel like it? During a certain time? In rotation?

- Create more flexible seating options

- Mix-up my literacy and math block. They work. Students are definitely learning, collaborating and taking risks with open-ended tasks - but are they being innovative? I'm not sure. Worth looking into. 

 - Add more engineering challenges, the ARTS, coding, mystery skypes and edCAMP 

*

When we thinking differently about the things that we are used to seeing daily, we can create innovative learning opportunities. #innovatorsmindset 


No comments:

Post a Comment